Friday, March 27, 2009

Environmentally Friendly



I first would like to start with a disclaimer.

I am not perfect. I'm not a good housekeeper. I'm not up for a Mother of the Year award.

But there is one thing that I
am....I am an idealist.

That is one thing that the environmentalists and I have in common. We have an idea in our head of what our planet or our homes could be if we followed certain principles. We want to be perfect, but life happens.

It's kind of like when Al Gore chartered a greenhouse gas exuding private jet to accept his Nobel Peace Prize. He just happened to be getting the prize for his work in raising awareness about global warming. The irony is delicious. But, I get it.

Today I caught myself yelling at the kids for having a messy room. I then walked into the living room and kitchen to see dirty dishes in the sink and on the counters, granola all over the kitchen floor and general messiness everywhere. How can I expect cleanliness of my kids if I can't set the standard?

So, I just wanted to make it clear that I don't count myself as the supreme authority on this subject. I am a work in progress. Just think of it this way. I want to use my home as a laboratory for my environmental experiments.

I want to find out how to create an environmentally friendly home. I believe that these efforts will help produce strong, secure children that have values, compassion and integrity. I believe that we can improve relationships between husband and wife. I believe that our homes can be a refuge from the storm. I believe that a happy home can brighten our whole outlook on life. I believe that we could truly save the world, if we could first save the
home environment.

It is time for us to clean out some of the toxins in our lives and in our homes to make it more environmentally friendly.

Here is some homework for you. Make a list of toxins in your home. What causes contention? What distractions plague you? What poisons have made their way into the house or into your life that take away from the peace?

Now can you do something for me? Will you leave some of your answers in the comments area? I would love to get a feel for what you would like to improve. Thanks!



Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment